Margaret L. Hanshaw and Family Scholarship Fund
The Margaret L. Hanshaw and Family Scholarship Fund will provide support to a career-changer, an aspiring returning, non-traditional students now majoring in education.
Margaret Louise (Grossi) Hanshaw was the daughter of Jennie and James Grossi of Gulich Township, Pennsylvania. She began dating Malcolm Hanshaw in 1944, not long after he was injured while serving in the Navy. The couple married in 1948 and settled in Oberlin. She worked for Bell Telephone. In 1955, they moved into a stone house that she designed in Hershey. In 1957, the Hanshaws had their only child, Terilee. After the family moved to Curtis Park near McClellan Air Force Base, she began pursuing higher education with such vigor that she raced through an undergraduate degree in three years and then earned two master's degrees and a doctorate in education. She taught high school in the Sacramento City Unified School District and retired in 1991. The highlight of her lifelong devotion to singing was a performance for the pope during her choir's tour of Europe.